DR. M. S .LATHA
It was a dream come true to the citizens of the locale when Sree Narayana College, Chathannur was founded in the name of the great philosopher, saint, seer and social reformer, Sree Narayana Guru. Bearing in letter and spirit the lofty ideals of the Guru, this institution of higher learning established on 31 August 1981 under the Sree Narayana Trusts, Kollam, has been imparting knowledge to the entire society, with the vision of “Liberation through Education”.It was the pioneering efforts of the founder manager late R.Sankar that realised the dream of establishing a group of institutions named after Sree Narayana Guru.
Ph. D Sree Chithra Thirunal Institute for Medical Science and Technology, Tvm, Kerala,India
M. Sc, Polymer Chemistry(II Rank), Mahaaatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India
UGC Research Awardee Mahatma Gandhi Unversity
Post Doctoral Fellow University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey, USA
State Merit Scholarship 1982
State Merit Scholarship 1984
University Merit Scholarship 1987
UGC/CSIR Junior Research Fellowship 1989
GATE 1989 score 90
Junior Research Fellowship Department of Science and Technology 1992
Senior Research Fellowship Department of Science and Technology 1994
Post Doctoral fellowship (USA) 2011
UGC Research Award 2013- 2015 at Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam,
PhD produced 3
PhD thesis submitted 1
Google scholar account
1 Synthesis and in vitro evaluation of alginate-cellulose nanocrystal hybrid nanoparticles for the controlled oral delivery of rifampicin, Deepa Thomas, M. S. Latha, K. Kurien Thomas. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology Volume 46August 2018Pages 392-399
2 Casein as a carrier matrix for 5-fluorouracil: drug release from microspheres, drug protein conjugates and in vivo degradation of microspheres in rat muscle, Latha, M. S., Jayakrishnan, A., Rathinam, K., and Mohanty, M.. J. Pharm Pharmacol., 46: 858-862 1994.
3. Glutaraldehyde cross-linked bovine casein microspheres as a matrix for the controlled release of theophylline: in vitro studies. Latha, M. S., and Jayakrishnan, A J. Pharm Pharmacol., 46: 8-13, 1994
4. Calcium Caseinate: A new matrix for sustained delivery of oral drugs. Latha, M. S., and A. Jayakrishnan, Pharm. Sci., 1: 363-365 1995.
5 Bioavailability of theophylline from glutaraldehyde cross-linked casein microspheres in rabbits following oral administration. Latha, M. S., Rathinam, K., Mohanan, P.V., and A. Jayakrishnan, J. Control Rel., 34: 1-7 1995.
6 A. A new method for the synthesis of smooth, round, hydrophilic protein microspheres using low concentrations of polymeric dispersing agents. Latha, M. S., and Jayakrishnan, J. Microencapsulation., 12: 7-12 1995.
7 Anti-tumor effect of mitoxantrone-loaded bovine casein microspheres on Ehrlich ascites carcinoma in mice. Latha, M. S., Latha, P. G., Subramoniam, A., and Jayakrishnan, A. Drug Delivery, 3: 75-79 1996.
8 , A. Progesterone release from glutaraldehyde cross-linked casein microspheres: in vitro studies and in vivo response in rabbits. Latha, M. S., Lal, A. V., Kumary, T. V., Sreekumar, R., and Jayakrishnan Contraception, 61: 329-334 2000.
9 Enhanced cellular uptake of a triplex-forming oligonucleotide by nanoparticle formation in the presence Of polypropyleniminedendrimers. .Santhakumaran, L. M., Thomas, T., and Thomas, T. Nucleic Acids Res., 32: 2102-2112, 2004
10 Bis (ethyl) norspermine potentiates the apoptotic activity of the pure antiestrogen ICI 182 780 in breast cancer cells. Balabhadrapathruni, S., Santhakumaran, L. M., Thomas, T. J, Shirahata, A., Gallo, M.A., and Thomas T.Oncogene Reports, 13: 101- 108 2005.
11 Oligodeoxynucleotide nanostructure formation in the presence of polypropyleneiminedendrimers and their uptake in breast cancer cells,Nanotechnology, Chen, Alex M.; Santhakumaran, Latha M.; Nair, Sandhya K.; Amenta, Peter S.; Thomas, Thresia; He, Huixin; Thomas, T. J Volume 17, Issue 21, pp. 5449-5460 2006
12 Synthetic and bacteriological studies on 5-alkyl substituted phthalylsulphathiazole metal chelates. V.L.Pushpa, K.B.Manoj,M.S.Latha, Keshav Mohan, K.Serji, ActaCiencIndica-Chem 33(4) , 605-10 2007 .
13 Synthesis& bacteriological studies phthalylsulphathiazole Metal Chelates : ActaCienciaIndica: 2,201,  2007
14 Metal Coated Coir Fiber for Smart Textile Applications, Melvi Chand, M.S.Latha, K.Shreekrishna Kumar and U.S.Sharma, CORD International Journal 26(1) 2010
15 Poly Ester Amides (PEAs) – Scaffold for Tissue Engineering Applications Review European Polymer Journal, European polymer journal 60, 58- 68.K.Ghosal, MS Latha, S.Thomas 2014
16 Biosorption of malachite green dye from aqueous solution by calcium alginate nanoparticles: equilibrium study—Journal of Molecular Liquids.- P.Geetha,MS Latha,S.Thomas 2015
17 Nanoalginate based biosorbent for the removal of lead ions from aqueous solutions: equilibrium and kinetic studies, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety,P.Geetha,MS Latha, SS Pillai, M.Koshy 2015
18 Characterisation of Electronic beam impact on natural coirfiber, KSK Melvy Chandhy, U.S.Sarma, MS Latha, PV Anilkumar, C ord.32- 2015
19 Green synthesis and characterization of alginate nanoparticles and its role as a biosorbent for Cr (VI) ions, Journal of Molecular Structure.P.Geetha, MS Latha, S.S.Pillai, B.Deepa, K.S.Kumar, M.Koshy 2016
20 Therapeutic_potential_of_the_phytochemicals_in_cassia_occidentalis-a_review, European Journal of Pharmaceutical and medical research, PPLMS Rekha.U, Thomas.J,Thomas.V,Tiju.J.M 2016
21 Dendrimers: General Aspects, Applications and Structural Exploitations as Prodrug/ Drug-Delivery Vehicles in Current Medicine, Mini Rev Med Chem.- MSL Merina Meriyam, Kajal Ghosal, Annie George, Sabu Thomas 2017
22 The Medicinal Properties of Phytochemicals in Catharanthus roseus-A Review, European Journal of Pharmaceuticaland Medical Research, K.R.Renjini, G.Gopakumar, MS Latha 2017
23 In Silico Identification of the Antimastitis, Components in Allium cepa-Sruthy B1, Latha MS2* and Sherly P Anand3 2018
24 Synthesis and in vitro evaluation of alginate-cellulose nanocrystal hybrid nanoparticles for the controlled oral delivery of rifampicin, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology 2018 D.Thomas,MS Latha,K.K.Thomas.
25 Cellulose Based Green Adsorbents for Pollutant Removal from Wastewater Green Adsorbents for Pollutant Removal-AG Varghese,SA Paul,MS Latha 2018
26 Alginate/Chitosan Nanoparticles for Improved Oral Delivery of Rifampicin: Optimization, Characterization and in vitro Evaluation ,Asian Journal of Chemistry –D M.Latha,D.Thomas,, KK Thomas 2018
27 Zinc-Alginate Beads for the Controlled Release of Rifampicin,Oriental Journal of Chemistry 2018 M.Latha,D.Thomas,, KK Thomas
28 Identification of Antimastits Componenets in Boerhavia Diffusa as an Inhibitor of Staphalococus aureus Monofunctional Glycosyltransferase, Causing Bovine Mastitis (An Insilico …Oriental journal of chemistry B.Sruthy, MS Latha,SP Anand 2018
29 Zinc-Alginate Beads for the Controlled Release of Rifampici, Oriental journal of chemistry- 2018 M.Latha,D.Thomas,, KK Thomas
30 A computational analysis of the therapeutic effect of carica papaya leaves against dengue fever, Indian.J.Sci.K.A.Krishnan, MS Latha, B.Sruthy. 2018
31 Identification of Antimastits Componenets in Boerhavia Diffusa as an Inhibitor of Staphalococus aureus Monofunctional Glycosyltransferase, Causing Bovine mastitis (An Insilico Approach). B. SRUTHY , M. S. LATHA * and SHERLY. P. ANAND, ORIENTAL
JOURNAL OF CHEMISTRY- Vol. 34, No.(2): 2018,
32 DOCKING STUDY ON MYCOBACTERIUM TUBERCULOSIS WITH PHYTOCHEMICALS OF ACALYPHA INDICA, Deepesh D., Sruthy B., Prema K.H and Latha M.S*-Volume 7; Issue 5(x); May 2018; Page No. xxx-xxx-International Journal of Current Advanced
33 Remediation of heavy metals and dyes from wastewater using cellulosebased adsorbents Environmental Chemistry Letters- MS Latha, Anitha George
Varghese, Sherley Annie paul 2019
34 Theoretical and experimental studies on theophylline release from hydrophilic alginate nanoparticles, Future journal of pharmaceutical science M.Latha,D.Thomas,, KK Thomas 2019
35 Synthesis of Nanocurcumin–Alginate Conjugate and its Characterization by XRD, IR, UV-VIS Andraman Spectroscopy, Oriental journal of chemistry- A.Joly, MS Latha 2019
36 Computational Investigations on Structural and Functional Impact of SNP in Parkinson’s Disease Associated With Human Monoamine Oxidase-B (Mao-B), MSL Sankar S, Vishnu , SSRN Electronic journal37 In silico Docking Analysis of small molecule inhibitors from Nyctanthes arbortristis against Nipah Virus Infection- Nayana Mohan, V.Meera, J.Soja, MS Latha. 2019
38 Preparation and evaluation of alginate nanoparticles prepared by green method for drug delivery applications DeepaThomasacK.KurienThomasaM.S.Lathabc International Journal of Biological Macromolecules,Volume 154, 1 July 2020, Pages 888-895 2020
1. Mereena Luke,M.S.Latha, Sabu Thomas, Anticancer effect of G4-OH PAMAM Dendrimer – Nanocurcumin Conjugates , International conference on Nano Biomaterials, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam 2014
2. M.S Latha, K Shreekrishnakumar, Anita Das Ravindranath, Arun Sharma, U. S. Sarma Phytosanitationof Coir Pith by Gamma Irradiation, NAARRI International Conference, BARC,Bombay(NIC-2010 )
3. Thomas, T.J., Chen A., Santhakumaran, L.M*., Thomas, T., and He, H. Robust Production of Oligonucleotide Nanoparticles by Polypropylenimine Dendrimers.Proc.Macro 2004.
4. Santhakumaran, L. M., Thomas, T., and Thomas, T. J. Nanoparticle formation in an antisense oligonucleotide by polypropyliniminedendrimers: Facilitation of cellular uptake and intracellular stability. Proc. Amer. Assoc. Cancer Res., 45: 2938, 2004.
5. Thomas, T., Santhakumaran, L. M., Parikh, M.S., and Thomas, T. J. A possible mechanism for the growth inhibitory action of curcumin on HER-2 over expressing SK-BR-3 breast cancer cells involves the polyamine pathway. Proc. Amer. Assoc. Cancer Res., 45: 729, 2004.
6. Balabhadrapathruni, S., Santhakumaran, L. M., Thomas, T., and Thomas T.J. Apoptotic effect of the pure antiestrogen ICI 182 781 in combination with bis (ethyl) norspermine involves down regulation of spermidine and spermine. Proc. Amer. Assoc. Cancer Res., 45, 2873, 2004.
7. Santhakumaran, L. M., Thomas, T., and Thomas, T. J. Polypropylenimine dendrimer: A promising oligonucleotide delivery vehicle for gene therapy. Proc. Amer. Assoc. Cancer Res., 44: 56, 2003.
8. Jayakrishnan, A., and Latha, M. S. Bovine milk protein as a potential drug carrier. Proc. Eur. Conf. Biomat. p.37, 1994.
1. Joly.A and M.S.Latha, Synthesis of Nanocurcumin, UGC sponsored National Seminar on Nanostructured Materials organized by N.S.S College, Changanasery, 2014
2. M.S. Latha. Dendrimers in Gene Delivery,Applications of Biotechnology, Bioinformatics and Nanotechnology, UGC sponsored National Seminar at TKMM college, Nangiarkulangara,2007.
3.M.S Latha, Formation and in vitro evaluation of theophylline loaded casein microsphere, Annual Conference of Indian Association of Biomedical Scientists,1992.
1. M.S Latha, Green Chemicals for Sustainable Future, National seminar at Bishop Moore College, Mavelikara 2012.
2. M.SLatha, Nucleic Acid Therapy and Metal Nucleic Acid Interactions, in Bioinorganic Chemistry,UGC sponsored state seminar at B.C.M College, Kottayam.2010
3. M.SLatha, Preparation and Characterization of Oligonucleotide nanoparticles for Gene delivery Applications, in Nanotechnology for Biomedical Applications, UGC sponsored seminar at S.N.College, Chengannur,2009.
4. M.S Latha. Polymers in Drug Delivery, Seminarseries at TKMM college, Nangiarkulangara,2007.
5. M.SLatha, Environmental Sciences in Short term course on Advanced Technological Interventions for Environmental sustainability at Rajive Gandhi Institute of Technology, Kottayam, 2007.
1. Santhakumaran, L. M., Chen, A., Pillai, C.K.S., Thomas, T., He, H., and Thomas, T. J. “Nanotechnology in non-viral gene delivery”, book chapter in Nanofabrication for Biomedical Applications, (Eds: J. Hormes, C. Kumar, and C. Leuschner), Wiley-VCH, In press.
2. Jayakrishnan, A., and Latha, M. S. Therapeutic possibilities using bovine milk protein casein as a drug delivery matrix. Macromolecules: New Frontiers, K. S. V. Srinivasan, Ed.,Allied Publishers, New Delhi. p. 590.,1998.
3. Jayakrishnan, A., and Latha, M. S. Biodegradable polymeric microspheres as drug carriers, in Controlled and Novel Drug Delivery, (Ed: N. K. Jain), CBS Publishers, New Delhi, p. 236-255, 1997.
1. “Preparation and Evaluation of Protein Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery Applications, Research Project UGC, Completed.
2. “E-Beam irradiation of Metal coated Coir Fibres to find out new applications in the field of Electronics” – Research project, Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS), Govt. of India Co Investigator Completed
3. “Plasma Nitriding for the improved performance of cutting machinery in Tyre Industry” – Research project, Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India. – Principal Co Investigator, Completed.
4. “Use of Radiation for phytosanitation and Quality enhancement of Coir pith” Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences, Dept. of Atomic Energy, Baba Atomic Research Centre, Govt. of India, Mumbai Co Investigator-Completed
1. National Workshop on Plasma Technology in Surface Engineering and Mineral Processing organized by School of Technology and applied Sciences, M.G.University, Kottayam and Power beam society of India, Mumbai,June 2-5,2009.
2. Short term programme on Intellectual Proprty Rights and Patent System in India,at National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research,Govt.of India, Chandigarh 04/09/2006to 08/09/2006.
3. Post doctoral training at Dept. of Medicine, Robert Wood Jphnson Medical School, University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey, July15 2001to July 14, 2004.
1. KSCSTE sponsored Ozone Layer Protection Day 2010 at S,N College, Chengannur
2. International Conference on Nanobiomatrials at Mahatma Gandhi University, 2014.
3. Workshop on Recent Advances in Nanomaterial Characterization at Mahatma Gandhi University, 2014.
4. Workshop on Computational Nanomedicine at Mahatma Gandhi University, 2013.
5. KSCSTE sponsored Ozone Layer Protection Day 2010 at S,N College, Chengannur
6. KSCSTE sponsored Science day celebrations including seminar 2009 & 2010 at S,N College, Chengannur
7. UGC sponsored Seminar “ Nanotechnology for Biomedical Applications 2009 at S.N.College, Chengannur.
8. Founders Day Commemorative Lecture Series at S,N College, Chengannur, 2009